Tuesday, July 07, 2009

FO# 23 Crochet Cravat scarf

Well, this was a bit of an impulse CO. I don't even remember why I started this scarf, except that I was itching to try the yarn, and probably in the middle of a project I was getting bored with for one reason or another. This would have been a very quick knit, if I hadn't had lots of other things going at the same time. I used to work on this a bit at a time when I needed to take the edge off with a little yarn play. I couldn't work on too many of those motifs without getting bored either.

crochet cravat scarf

FO: Ruffle Cravat by Leigh Radford from her One Skein book.

I bought these two skeins of yarn when I was in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. I wanted a quick project I could do in my hotel room as a treat for surviving that day. There was a crocheted scarf pattern on the ball band of one of the skeins, so I bought the two skeins and the right hook, and sadly went on my way. I didn't actually have time to start it on my trip, which made it a pointless purchase, but oh well. So when I was reaching for a stress-busting project, I thought I would just work on the crocheted scarf. Well, it turned out I didn't understand the pattern, so then I remembered the Ruffled Cravat pattern from One Skein, that I'd always meant to try. I saw on Ravelry that some people had lengthened it to a scarf size, so I went ahead with it. It was pretty easy, and the schematic really helped a lot. I think there are a couple of places where I went a little wrong, but no one will ever know unless I tell them.

Yarn: Bernat Alpaca Natural Blends, 2 skeins, Natural color (1007)

This yarn was ok for a craft store yarn. The alpaca fiber made the yarn softer but I think there were a lot of the coarser guard hairs in the mix too, because it is still a bit itchy after washing and blocking. I probably won't buy it again, but it was good to try it out, and the bulky gauge makes it easy to satisfy that itch quickly.

Hook: I/9 Feels different to crochet with a bigger hook, but a good change from the onesie's small hook.

Notes: Two skeins made a 92" long scarf.

crochet cravat scarf 3

When I got to the end, I didn't have enough to make a full motif, so I ended with this little knob-like thing.

crochet cravat scarf

Kind of silly, but I like it. I think I'm going to put this away and give it to someone for Christmas. Maybe. If I don't start wearing it myself first. There's just something about that white yarn, all stacked up like an Elizabethan ruff that makes me think it would be a great dress-up scarf for a fancy outfit. As long as you don't mind getting stray white hairs all over your clothes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home