Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm coming off one of the hardest weeks I've had in a while. And let me tell you, this grand jury duty stuff is not for the faint of heart, especially if you, like me, are lucky enough to pull the SVU division of cases. I come out of the courthouse every week thankful that I have Spanky and not some rapist, child-molesting man at home, and thanking god that I've not run into one of the many ass-grabbers that apparently live in JC. Humanity is horrifying sometimes.

But on the plus side, it's Thanksgiving! It's a holiday weekend. YES. I needed a break so badly. And Spanky took Stella down to her folks' house for the week, so I have the house all to myself! I've already gorged myself on movies (Clay Pigeons, The Marsh, and The Legend of Leigh Bowery, if you must know, and the only one I'd really recommend is the last. I wish I'd seen Taboo now while it was here! That Rosie O'Donnell, she was ahead of her time, or I'm WAY behind mine!), and while out today, I managed to snag two more books from my EW reading list--Philip Roth's American Pastoral, and Dennis Lehane's Mystic River, both checked out of the Five Points branch of the JC public library. Go figure. Guess which I'm starting with? Yeah, the Lehane. It's a grabber. I haven't seen the movie, and I don't think I'm going to, but I guess that really depends on how the book ends up being, right? I had to skip Beloved, but my friend Scott supposedly has a copy he will lend me, and I'm going to try to talk him into going to see Twilight with me on Saturday so that I can also pick up the book.

tofurkey roast

Spanky and I had our Thanksgiving feast together last weekend. A Tofurkey feast, that is.

tofurkey feast

I'm bringing the end of the roast out to my aunt's tomorrow, along with a pumpkin bread that I made today for the morning after Thanksgiving. It looks just like this chocolate banana bread I made last weekend, only in the pumpkin bread, the chips sort of sunk into the batter.

chocolate banana bread

I still haven't decided yet if I'm spending the night there or just coming back late on the train, but either way, they can have some with coffee in the morning. God, I really love them, but I really don't want to spend the night on a couch.

peanut butter pie with choc crust

I also made a peanut-butter pie from a link that Spanky sent me from Gothamist. I'll see if I can find it later and link all this stuff in the post, but right now, I just wanted to wish everyone happy Thanksgiving. It's a fine time to look around you and be thankful for what you have, even if it isn't as much as you'd like. It's hard to remember that when we live in a culture that is always shoving consumerism down our throats, but people don't need a whole hell of a lot to survive, and even thrive. We just need each other. And we need for each other not to be rapey, child-molesting, ass-grabbing criminals, so just remember that. More on the knitting later, pets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home