Monday, November 03, 2008

FOs from the road #2

Sometimes, I feel like I don't control anything in my life. My job is cajoling other people to turn in work they don't want to do and/or doing it faster, better, and cheaper than is probably prudent. And, well, you all know how family life is. It isn't easy, and it never goes the way you think and wish it would because your own wants and needs are not always the priority.

I think that's why I love knitting so much. You can pick out something that want, you can choose colors you think are pretty, and you can fit something to your own body if you want, or knit it all shapeless and boxy if you want. You can control the results if you know what you're doing. And if you don't really know what you're doing, you can make it up, and it is still damn fun.

garter mitts

Yarn: Artyarns Supermerino, color #138
Needles: Size 6 straight needles, with one DPN for the 3 needle bind-off.
Pattern: Garter mitts from Weekend Knitting

I made these mitts to replace a pair of ribbed mitts I'd made out of some leftover Noro Kureyon last year or the year before. I loved those mitts, but I lost one of them in London on a business trip. Later, I told Spanky that I would make her another pair of 'croc socks' out of some Artyarns Supermerino, since she actually wore the first pair I made her. I found the cheapest place online to order the supermerino (which I absolutely LOVE, but it's so expensive!), and I ordered enough to make her a pair, her mom a pair, and I got some for me. When I got the yarn, mine was the only color I balked at making socks with. It is this very dark purple and black, and I just thought it would look stupid knit up as socks. So I planned on using it to make these garter mitts.

garter mitts

I like the way the colors look in the garter stitch--somehow the bumpiness suits the deep goth colors and makes them more wearable.

However, it only took one skein to make both mitts! So now I have one lone skein of this garish supermerino colorway. I think I'm going to make a little garter stitch (at least the border will be garter) cowl from this yarn too, so that I'll have a matching set and can use up the rest of the yarn. I don't know when I'll get to it though...

hello?
Calling occupants of interplanetary craft--how do you like my mitts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home