Sunday, March 09, 2008

FO turtleneck shrug

Well, I'm back. It's been four days, and I think I'm still suffering from jetlag. It is definitely worse coming home, partly because you know your vacation is over, and you have to go back to work, so there really isn't any motivation to get up and get going.

I am actually happy to be home. I definitely recommend one extended vacation over several small ones. It puts everything else in perspective.

But on to the FO--I finished this before I left, so that I could use it on the airplane. It was great to have, actually. It's not as heavy as a full sweater, but the sleeves and turtleneck keep you from freezing in the air-conditioning on the plane. I'm going to be eventually using this in the office during the summer for the same purpose.

turtleneck shrug

Pattern: Turtleneck shrug, by Teva Durham, in Scarf Style (I'm not linking to the book, because everyone by this time I'm sure has either knit the thing, or has the book and thinks the TNS is whack and would never knit it...I was one of these until Ravelry [that's a Ravelry link]...)

Yarn: Plymouth Encore, 2 skeins, 75% acrylic, 25% wool, color 1793 200 yds/ball

At first, I was going to use the recommended Rowan Kid Classic, but I wasn't sure how much I would actually wear the TNS, and so opted to go with something washable and more affordable, and save the luxury yarn for a garment or scarf that will actually be a bigger part of my wardrobe. This piece is more of a novelty knit than anything, and although I'll actually use it, it will most likely stay at the office.

Needles: size 8 (7? I don't remember now) dpns/circ. At first, I was using aluminum dpns, but they were really hard to use on the go, as they were so slick they tended to drop out of the knitting. Eventually I found some bamboo dpns I had in the same size, so moved it onto those, and it went a lot faster. I imagine that if I'd had one of those really small circs, it would have been a breeze. Such a giant tube with dpns is really a chore.

turtleneck shrug closer

Mods: I shortened the arms by 1". If I were going to do it again, I'd try to find a way to bring it down more in the front and back for just a little bit more coverage, and would maybe shorten the shoulder bits. My shoulders are pretty narrow, and I think there is a bit more room there than there should be. But overall, I'm pretty happy with the fit. The arms are exactly the right length, and the turtleneck is a bit loose, which is good, because tight things around my neck tend to make me feel claustrophobic.

Finally, please excuse the hair. I'm growing out this short haircut, and I've finally reached the stage where nothing looks good (plus, I'd just gotten up from a jetlag nap...).

3 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger stickyfingers said...

Welcome home! The Shrug/Tutrleneck (maybe I'll just call it a tug) looks great.

 
At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so you know, I still plan on knitting this thing. I don't care how much time has passed, since it was a popular pattern. It looks GREAT on you!

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger kim said...

Thanks you guys! I appreciate it~!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home