Wednesday, January 09, 2008

FO: Interlocking Balloons scarf

She's blocking, ladies and gents!!!

Matthew's scarf


Last night I worked on the last bit of this scarf at my knitting group night, and finished it. I actually left early so I could block it because I was so excited. After a short soak in the lavender Eucalan, I pinned it out, and left it overnight. It is still a little damp, so I'll leave it until tomorrow morning, and then unpin it, weave in the ends, and take it to work for my assistant. YAY!!!

from the top


I am really happy with this scarf. It was so much fun to knit, and the yarn was yummy too. When I first squeezed the yarn in Montreal, I was only concerned with whether the color and texture were manly enough (I shouldn't have worried about it--my assistant wears Cosby sweaters UNironically...), and whether it was soft enough to wear around one's neck. In the store, I thought it was passable. When I got it home, I wasn't so sure. After working with it though, I think it is a lot softer than I expected, especially since I've soaked it. The yarn has 10% angora in it, and that obviously does make it softer.

one more...


I actually loved knitting this too. The process of moving the sticky notes up the chart repeatedly was kind of annoying, and I couldn't really do it and listen to podcasts or watch tv too closely or anything else that required attention, but it was so satisfying to watch the pattern develop, and I really loved working with the yarn, and was imagining that Matthew would really appreciate all my effort and would look good in the scarf, (and honestly, he could really use some nice things...) that it was a very pleasant knit for me. I wish I had bought that fifth ball of yarn that the owner of the yarn shop was trying to talk me into. He told me it wouldn't be enough, and I was like, 'then the scarf will be short.' and Lo And Behold. The scarf--she is short. Well, not really short, but shortER than the pattern called for. (She's 58.5 inches as opposed to 62".)It is still long enough to wrap once around your neck and tuck into your coat.

close up of the pattern


I couldn't resist pinning out the balloons either. I don't know how he's going to feel about the pointy bits, but hopefully when he's wearing it, it won't be such a big deal. I really can't wait to give it to him!!!

1 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Blogger PlumStitches said...

It looks awesome!! Hope he likes it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home