Thursday, October 04, 2007

GO DOG GO!!

Is it really October? I had three conferences in the month of September. In fact, I'm STILL AT ONE NOW. I've been to Canada, upstate NY and the southwest.

Some travel pics:
Downtown Montreal French film sign party 2 Edison Emporium stillwater oklahoma state university of oklahoma pigeon coop

From left to right across the rows (click any to go to the flickr page):
1. Downtown Montreal from the Concordia history department window. Wish I had a view like that from my office...
2. French film production. I thought it was funny. Look for "Death Race" coming to a theater near you!
3. Went out to Jersey for my friend Ilene's baby naming ceremony and 1 yr birthday. Apparently for Jewish girl babies you can have these ceremonies like you would have a bris for a boy. It affirms that the girl baby is special in her own right. It was a beautiful ceremony. They had the same feminist lesbian rabbi who married them perform the blessing, and then the family members each said stuff, and they explained why they picked her name. I was glad I went, even though I didn't realize that there would be so many people!
4. The Edison Exploratorium. Extra points if you know where this is. My biggest regret is that it was closed when we found it.
5. Stillwater, where Oklahoma began. I'm not sure if that's technically true, but if so, that's pretty awesome. I like thinking about that sign being the very point where all those land grabbers lined up like in that Tom Cruise movie. There is so much history here, and it is so different from anything I'm used to on the East coast. I do love going out west.
6. Oklahoma State University student union.
7. University of Oklahoma--there's much more art on this campus than at OK State. At least in my very superficial experience. And I thought this piece was particularly strange. You're just walking along, and then there are these two women, from the 1950s. I imagine them as lesbians. What? They could be!
8. World of Wings, Oklahoma City. This is a racing pigeon museum that I went to this morning. Or was that yesterday? I think it was yesterday, before the conference really got started. That's the pigeon coop, were the pigeons land when they return from their races. That deck out front has a computer scanner underneath, and when the pigeons land there, the scanner reads a microchip on the band around their leg and logs the time of their return. That museum was actually really informative, and I'm glad I went, even though I was the only one there.

I'll have more coming up. I didn't even get a chance to talk about the knitting. I've been busy, and have one christmas present finished. I need to start my assistant's scarf soon, because I have to make a sweater for my niece as well.

I'm so glad all this travel is almost over. I have one more conference before the end, and then I'm going down to visit my mother and my sister before the end of the year, when Spanky and I are going down for the holidays. Sheesh. It's all a freaking blur, I tell ya. This is probably the busiest I've been in a long time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home