Wednesday, August 22, 2007

what up, buttercup?

Oh, you know, just general malaise. The weather has been all kinds of messed up lately, and whereas if it were getting cooler in the normal swing of the seasons, I might be feeling pretty good about it, the fact that it is AUGUST and 59 degrees just makes me uneasy and kind of cranky. I mean, all my sweaters are packed away right now, so I'm having trouble staying warm, in AUGUST. Doesn't that make you uneasy? We're living in the End Of Days, man. Better enjoy it while you can...

Plus, Spanky's working on a big assignment with wonky hours, and I haven't been getting enough of the right kind of sleep, though as Barbara pointed out at knitting group last night, it doesn't matter how much sleep you get if you have to get up to go to work the next day. It's always hard. So I've really had to concentrate on just keeping it together, and any extra energy has been sucked into my actual knitting, and not writing about knitting. I know you're all crushed. Oh, and there is also this:


You like (although I have to say, he's better 'in person')? He's my new boyfriend. Spanky doesn't mind. One night when I wanted to watch TV and there was nothing on (no cable in this house), I started watching classic Battlestar Galactica on my computer thanks to Netflix's new 'watch it immediately online' feature. I love Netflix. They have everything I want to see, one way or the other. Anyway, my new boyfriend is dreamy. I love him!!! Every time he flips his feathered, highlighted hair at the camera and chomps on that disgusting cigarillo, I swoon. It is probably his fantastic smile, and the fact that I know he beat cancer by holing up in a cabin and adhering to his macrobiotic diet, and that he then went on to star as "Face" in The A-Team, my favorite show as a kid. I've watched like seven or eight episodes of Battlestar Gallactica now, and the show is very charming. I can see why they remade it, although now Starbuck is a hot chick and maybe that's for the best. Dirk is so pretty he might as well be a girl anyway. Maybe that's why I like him so much...

Anyway, this is all to say that I've been meaning to post about something else vaguely scandalous: I haven't been strictly monogamous to my knitting either:
Crochet Today
May I present the best crochet magazine on the market? I know, you find it odd that I didn't pick one of the more established rags, but let me tell you, this one is awesome. There are so many things I want to make...
crochet dress crochet bag crochet wrap sweater Crochet blanket Crochet baby toys

And right now (right now meaning it's charter year, I'm assuming) it is on sale for $4.99!! That's a bargain. LOVE. IT. I read my first issue during my business trip in Minneapolis, because sometimes, as you all know, there is a long drought between seasons of knitting mags, and a girl's got to get her fix somehow, you know? I guess I needed comforting reading for the long nights in the hotel. And that issue was good, but this one is GREAT. And I don't even know how to crochet. I'm going to have to learn. Seriously. It can't be harder than knitting, and I taught myself how to do that.

There are so many other projects in there that I like too, but these are my favorites. I don't usually go for knit bags, but this little crochet number is not dorky in the slightest. The one felted bag I made, I don't use much. I think most felted bags tend to look sort of 'mom-ish', and other knit bags are usually too small for all my stuff. That blue sweater is AMAZING, and I'm definitely going to put that on my Ravelry queue, whenever I get around to updating it (unskeined on ravelry--come say hi or add me as a friend!!). I'm not sure I'll ever make the dress, but it looks pretty wearable for someone of my body type, and I appreciate the design. And the baby rattles are just great baby shower gifts, and with my co-workers harvesting their current crop of babies this fall, I'm going to need to stock-pile things like this for maximum baby-shower appeal.

My next post--VK anniversary issue and the big 'eh' that was the fall IK. What universe is this that I prefer the Vogue? Crazy, I know.

2 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god. I was SO in love with Starbuck when I was a little girl. When my friend and I played pretend boyfriend, I always made her have to pick Apollo, because Starbuck was mine, all MINE. Of course, now the joke's on me, because in the new series, which rocks so hard, Apollo/Lee is pretty cute.

Yes, I am a great big geek.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Bevin said...

Kim I am horrified first a crush on a boy and now crochet for christsake I don't even know you anymore.

I will admit that the rattles, sweater and bag are cute. I would even say sweater and rattles are REALLY cute.

Good luck crocheting. I tried to teach myself and it was an abject failure. Other than single crochet or just fiddling about and trying to make a series of flat knots out of yarn it didn't work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home