Monday, April 09, 2007

some thoughts on the Harlot

blurry Harlot


So, after a loooong day at work, preparing for my trip to MN, I didn't know whether I should go to the Yarn Harlot's "Represent" book launch or not. I really wanted to participate in more of the whole hoopla day, because it sounded fun, but with the trip and my new assistant just starting, I couldn't call out of work. Instead, at the end of that grueling day, I called Spanky and asked her whether she thought I should go. I saw the Harlot at the Knit Out, so I wasn't going just to see her. I was just really curious about whether or not she could get 750 knitters to actually show up. Spanky said I should go, and that she'd see me afterward. I asked the one person at work who I know knits and doesn't commute in from Jersey (so wouldn't need to make a commuter train) to go with me, but she had other plans, so I went by myself.

And then I saw the line at the book stand and couldn't figure out if I had to buy a book to get in, and so I went to get cash, but when I got back, there was no line so I just got one of the buttons and a seat in the back. I didn't actually buy a book until afterward. I know this probably sounds like sacriledge, but I don't actually enjoy her books too much. I love the blog, but I find the books to be more hype than substance. I guess I'm not much for the knitting humor in large doses. I like reading about her family and what she's knitting more than I like reading about the foibles of knitting itself, I guess is what it is. Still, now I have three of them anyway. After she started talking about how much money she raised for Doctors without Borders, I felt bad for being there and not getting one, so I bought it. And I'm enjoying it so far. It is cute! I like all the art. I don't know how many more she can churn out though, without repeating herself. I guess we'll see.

The bohus was amazing. I wish I'd at least gotten a sharp picture! The bit with her husband was really touching as well. And her speech was really great. The part that got me thinking the most was when she started talking about how many people had blogs, and about how open and accepting the knitting community is. And then she asked how many people felt that knitting increased their self-confidence. I wish I felt more of that. I actually think knitting as a skill has given me something to look forward to every day. I love to knit. I love to create something out of nothing, and be able to wow people at work with cool baby clothes at these interminable baby showers, and to give well thought out presents to people in my life. But knitting as a community just makes me feel like I'm the new kid back in high school where everyone's already formed their cliques. I feel uncomfortable in the yarn stores where everyone looks up from the cafe to size you up, I also feel uncomfortable around groups of knitters who already know each other. Im not a naturally gregarious person. And what I've found is that too many knitters together can start to feel like a competition. Maybe it is just New York. Everything is a competition here. Who has the best (cheapest) apartment, who has the best clothes, who is the one whose second career as an artist/writer/actress/singer/comedian is taking off the most... Who can do the hardest knitting skills, and who has the best blog.

So I'd have to say, I don't know that being a knitter has actually increased my self confidence, but building my knitting skills certainly has. I still have a long way to go, but I'm enjoying the challenge, and doing it at my own pace, and that spirit of taking on impossible tasks and doing them well is what the Yarn Harlot is all about. So I'm glad I went and supported that book launch, and The Gathering. I have to say, it was the biggest launch I've ever been to, and I was gratified to be able to go back to work the next day and show my blurry pictures to the co-worker who didn't believe that the launch would be as big as all that. So maybe I am a Harlot groupie after all.

Soy Wool Stripes

I'm sure this has already been said a million times, but everyone there got a ball of yarn and some size 8 straight needles. That right there is my swatch I was supposed to turn in, but I didn't have any scissors, and just couldn't bring myself to ask anyone for the use of theirs. I know. It's me. I know this, and I still couldn't. Anyway, it is also too small, so I did pledge that I would knit the whole thing into swatches for Warm Up America, and just mail them in once I get a chance. It is in my knitting basket, so I remember to do it. I didn't just toss it into the stash.

Tomorrow, what I've been knitting. I know you're all psyched.

3 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, Blogger Bevin said...

I can't believe she went to Florida! And your dog is gone!

I wanted to go represent, but the event started as I am supposed to leave work (but rarely do).

We should hang out soon! I always have a yarn cutter on my keychain and you can use it anytime. xoxoxoxo

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

I am very self-conscious and tend to be very shy in new groups as well. There is a stitch n bitch I'm dying to go to, but I don't have the guts to go alone!!

Your knitting (and kitty) is very beautiful. :)

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess its nationwide at least, the whole knitting clique thing, because it happens in Oklahoma too. We have one LYS that is actually known for its snobs and the clique that supports it. Knitting is my passion and sure wish I could find a younger group of knitters around here. Love reading your blog it is one of my favs. Best of luck to you. -Stacy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home