Sunday, January 28, 2007

someone alert the media

I've got FOs to share!

1. Forest Canopy Shoulder Shawl:

forest canopy shoulder shawl forest canopy shoulder shawl

Yarn: Knit Pick's Shimmer in Turquoise Splendor. The yarn was really soft, and the colors are very bright. While I was working on it I got lots of comments about the bright turquoise yarn. I wasn't extremely happy with the different blotches of the lighter blue that happened in the finished product, but I realize that when using a variegated yarn that can happen so I'm not too disappointed. I would definitely use the yarn again, and I actually have one more hank in the Stained Glass colorway, and Im going to make another one of the shawls as soon as I can fit it in my queue to give to one of my oldest friends as a late xmas present.

Needles: Size 8 24" circular Needle--I really appreciated all the information that Susan Lawrence put into her pattern, especially about picking the right kind of yarn and swatching to see how you like the resulting fabric. When I used the size 8 needle, I got this very light, lacy fabric, and I really wanted a finished shawl that was light and lacy without being too loose, and the size 8s worked out really well.

forest canopy shoulder shawl forest canopy shoulder shawl

Other thoughts: I do think this was a good way to ease into knitting lace. I've done a few lacy projects before, but always with worsted weight yarn and working with thinner yarn is kind of a new skill in and of itself. I actually used a metal needle for this, and was just very careful so that the stitches didn't slide off. I did have one scary moment on a plane, when the needle did slide out of several stitches, but i was able to catch them all before they slid out. My heart did stop for a second though. I still like using the smoother needles, but you just have to be aware and be very careful all the time youre working on it, or you will definitely lose stitches.

I did follow Susan's suggestion to use a marker in the center, and that really helped a lot. I didn't use other stitch markers though, and I think she was right when she says that they sometimes get in your way more than help. This was a small project though, not like the really complicated lace projects that I've seen other people work on.

I also made one mistake on the edging. I couldn't figure out how to fix it though, so I just left it and corrected for the right number of stitches. You can barely tell, but if you want to see it, click through the blocking picture for the flickr note.

Anyway, it's very pretty and I can't wait to gift it! It is for my dad's wife, and was supposed to be for xmas. She is a very nice woman, and is the one who always remembers my birthday and other holidays. My dad doesn't even remember that stuff. She deserves a nice handmade present. I have to make a dog toy for my dad, so that I can send the package soon.


2. Red Scarf Project scarf:

Oh my god, this is finally finished. Finally! I'm glad I persevered, because it is very cute, but I almost gave up, since this was a completely spontaneous project. I'm going to send it out tomorrow from work with some candy or something.

red scarf project scarf

I favor skinny scarves, so I made one that I would like, but also one that was plain enough for a boy. I wanted to put little pom-poms across the bottom instead of fringe, because i really don't like fringe but the girls at work convinced me that pom-poms would be too girly. I guess they were right--I made short fringe instead. It is a good size scarf as you can tell--generous but not too long. I'm proud of myself for finishing it within the deadline (barely!).

Tomorrow, I re-commence working on Spanky's hat, just in time for the blustery, snowy week ahead. I'm sure I'll finish it before the end of the week. What then? Do I finish the sweater I'm in the middle of or the socks? *OR* do I start something new? I don't know...

2 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Canopy Shawl is gorgeous - glad I got to see it in person! Beth

 
At 2:39 AM, Blogger Marsha said...

Congrats on your finished projects! Wish I could've seen some in person, but things just happen to get crazy every Tuesday night we've had our meet...
Looking forward to hearing about your next project(s)...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home