Monday, April 30, 2007

book reviews

So, in a moment of VAST stupidity, I accidentally deleted ALL of my pictures. So you do not get to see my finished, SEAMED Monica sweater, or my new haircut (maybe tomorrow when im not about to pass out and actually have some makeup on). Instead I want to tell you a story.

A story of a girl and her piggy bank. On a day when the sun was just starting to melt the snow that was on the ground, the girl's partner had a great idea. "Let's take our change to the Pathmark! They have a Coinstar there that will give you PRESENTS and not ask anything in return! It doesn't take a commission." The girl contemplated the long, long walk to the Pathmark, and looked at the melting snow. "Do you think we can make it?" she asked. Stepping carefully, the two made their way the many long blocks to the store, and after hunting high and low, came upon the fabled machine. The girl watched as her partner dumped around $80 into the machine! Eighty dollars! Surely there wasn't that much change in the pig! But lo, there was. But what would she choose as her present? The girl knew with certainty what her own choice would be when it came. With an Amazon gift certificate she could get KNITTING BOOKS. And when her turn came to treat with the machine, she ended up with over THIRTY DOLLARS worth of Amazon credit!!! And thus, she was able to buy herself two brand new books, which she wouldn't have otherwise had. The day they came in the mail was a happy day.
The End.
The moral of the story: sometimes saving can help you spend. Or something like that...

new books

Anyway, YAY. These books have both given me many, many hours of oogling time. I want to knit things from them immediately. I have Wrap Style, and Scarf Style, and I have to say that I think, contrary to most people, Wrap Style is my favorite. But I like Lace Style too.

My favorite projects (linked to examples where easily available) from Lace Style:

1. Like everyone and their mother, I like the Lily of the Valley Shawl by Nancy Bush. I can see this being the wrap I use in my chilly, chilly office.
2. Yes, the Floral Lace Anklets by Evelyn Clark are cute. I may even someday knit them.
3. Pam Allen's Little Silk Shrug is something I'm almost certainly going to make.
4. The Essential Tank Top by Laura Zukaite is also something I'd love to make someday.
5. Mercedes Tarasovich-Clark's Retro Redux Shrug is also something I'm pretty sure is in my future.
6. I love Kathy Zimmerman's Katharine Hepburn Cardigans, but the cropped one hits me right at the top of my gut, and the other one is a little too preppy for me, but they are so pretty on the models.
7. I am seriously tempted by Kat Coyle's Show-Off Ruffled Skirt, but probably won't ever actually make it. It is one of the only knit skirts that looks even remotely wearable though.
8. Nora Gaughan's Lacy Waves Top is really my second favorite garment in this book. I like the color, I like the shaping. I would definitely wear that, if I could manage to actually make it.
9. My favorite though, is last. Veronik Avery's Shetland Shawl Turned Vest. It is adorable. I can see wearing something like that all the time to work, both with suits and on more casual days to class an outfit up a bit. I am certainly going to make this.

There are other things I like in there, but those are the patterns that I would most likely knit or wear. The others are pretty but are not for me.


But I was absolutely blown away by the Fitted Knits book. I haven't really had a chance to read through the whole thing, despite having both books for over two months. But I am still so impressed with the majority of patterns in this book, and I would wear almost all of them. I don't like long tunics much, but if you shortened them to normal length, they would make fine tops. I also don't go in for the long coat look either. But most of the others I love:

1. Split Neckline Cap Sleeved Tee--cute. I would knit it in exactly those colors or perhaps something with purple in it. I love it.
2. Spicy Fitted V-Neck Tee--very flattering, despite being bulky yarn.
3. Crisp Rectangle Tunic Top--not as a tunic.
4. Carie Cropped Flare-Sleeved Cardigan--I may just love the styling in this picture, but that sweater would be something i could wear over a sleeveless dress to my christmas party at work and not worry about being cold.
5. Cropped Cardigan with Leaf Ties--I was sad that they put this pattern in Knitty, since I love it so much, but now everyone gets to enjoy it.
6. Puff-Sleeved Feminine Cardigan--again, something I would wear to work ALL THE TIME.
7. Back To School U-Neck Vest--I love, love, love this vest. I will definitely knit this someday.
8. Key-Hole Neck Blouse with Eyelet Details--I wonder if this would look ok on me. I don't know...
9. Cozy V-Neck Pullover with deep ribbing--This, I know, would be. It is plain; I love it.
10. Textured Tunic with Side Buttons--I think I'm a sucker for those side buttons on sweaters, but I like this one a lot!
11. Call me crazy, but I also really like the Tweedy V-Neck Jacket and Skirt. Would I ever knit this? Probably not, but if I did, I would damn sure wear it. It looks very normal and wearable. And that is awesome, my friends.


So really that is it, and I'm too tired to look up links for the second book, but I think that one is definitely the winner 11-9, and I love the shaping guide that is included more than the tips on lace knitting. I don't care to ever really create my own lace, but I'm certainly going to need help fitting my knits to my own unique form.

Next up, I attempt to take more pictures without deleting them! I talk about sock knitting! I start a dolly! Right now, I'm going to bed to await Spanky's call and work a couple more rows on this damn blanket. It is never going to end. Never. The charm of the cotton yarn is wearing off. It sheds, people.

1 Comments:

At 7:57 PM, Blogger PlumStitches said...

Ooh, I like that story about the change. I have a few jars piling up. Also, I've been wanting to get Lace Style.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home