Sunday, July 30, 2006

one sock done!

Yahoo! I love the way it fits, which is weird, because I didn't think it would fit at all. As you can see by the "off" position, it looks really long and skinny:
first sock!

But when I put it on, it fit just right:
sock onsock from the top

At first I wasn't so sure about the striping. I mean, they're not exactly uniform color repeats but they ended up being uniformly irregular, if that makes any sense. The silk makes the yarn really soft, and the colors muted. I got these two balls as part of my vacation yarn buying in L.A.

Spanky was kind enough to drive me around the various neighborhoods of Los Angeles looking for yarn stores. I got these at Unwind, which is the yarn store that was featured in "Six Feet Under". Unfortunately, I got there at the end of a long, hot day of driving, so I only had a few minutes to check it out, but I really liked it. I think the yarn was pretty pricey compared to NYC, but there were good sale buckets, and it seemed like a very friendly place to go hang out. PLUS, they have tons of really cool events. I wish we had a place like that here. Most of the shops here seem to have the basic classes, but the people in the shops are all so uptight and pinched or snootier than thou. I really liked the vibe of that place.

Anyway, I digress. The sock is awesome, and I don't think I'm going to have any trouble doing the second one, since this one only took me a week of nightly knitting--a couple of hours a night for five days, and then three or four hours saturday and sunday. But I also have to finish the sushi wallet and start on the kiddie knitting. Oh bejeezus, don't even get me started on that! Actually, that's going to be my next post. Maybe I'll take this second sock on the plane to London with me in two weeks, if they'll let me on with the metal dpns...

3 Comments:

At 1:34 AM, Blogger katy said...

Hi Kim,

Do you still have this pattern, by any chance? I was in the middle of making sock #1 from the same pattern when the Spun Magazine website disappeared on me. If you have a printed version, if there's any chance you can email me the directions for the heel and toe I would appreciate it SO SO much!

Katy

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger kim said...

Hi Katy:

I might have it at home--I'll have to look when I get back from work tonight. I think it was a pretty standard heel flap though, done over half the stitches (the other half is the instep and remains in pattern). The toe was a rosebud toe (you can google this for how to do it), not one you have to graft, I believe. I'll check on that and get back to you tonight though.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger kim said...

Hi Kate:

Sorry, I looked, but I think I had the page open on my
laptop while I was knitting the pattern, and when I
traveled, had printed it out. I don't keep those print
outs, but like I said, I think if you just did a
simple heel flap, you should be ok, and then look at a
few other sock patterns for their toes. It wasn't
anything different or complicated.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!
Kim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home