Tuesday, July 18, 2006

the project that will NEVER END

So.... I thought I would have such a great post for you all yesterday about my tote bag, but I'm beginning to think I will never be done with it. Seriously. I thought I would be done on Sunday, but I spent the whole day listening to podcasts and creating the I-cord handles (top right in the picture).

tote bag pieces

This bag has been nothing but problems:

1. First things first: Because of the cost of the Classic Elite Montera called for in the pattern, I substituted Bernat's Lana 100% merino wool from Joann's (in Chocolate and Denim!). It says "Ideal for felting!" right on the label, so I figured it would work. ANYWAY, it must be about half as thick as the Montera, so I ended up having to double it, which meant that I had to put in a second order (online because we have no close store and I have no car). So it ended up being not as cheap as I would have liked, and I worked that whole thing doubled. But I'm pretty satisfied with the thickness of the bag so far. I did most of it while watching Netflix.

felted bag handles

2. When I got to the handles, the directions said to double the yarn. At first, I tried to just go along with the original doubled strands, which is why you see that the straps have one brown end, because after I finished the first part of the first handle, I realized that they weren't very strong, so I reluctantly doubled the yarn. But I was worried that I would run out of yarn, so I decided to use two strands of brown and two strands of the blue. Well, if you double doubled yarn, you are working with four strands. FOUR STRANDS, PEOPLE! The four strand I-cord just went on and on. I actually got a bruise on one of my fingers from pushing the strands along the dpns. I made the second strap to match the first.

3. Last night, I was sure that I could finish all the finishing so that I could write this post, but no such luck.
tote bag seaming

Stella helped.

stella on tote bag sides

Riiight. It just went on and on. At first I tried to mattress stitch, which was beautiful, but it took so long! So in the end I just whip-stitched a lot of it.

seaming

Finally, the body of the bag was done.

blurry seamed bag

But I'm still not done! I have to crochet the top contrasting color, sew on the pocket and crochet the top of the pocket, and sew on the button loop and handles. Argh.

Also, I've never felted anything before and I'm a little nervous that the felting is going to ruin all my hard work. I can't wait to see how it comes out though! I'm so close to being done! And I'll be able to carry my projects in the bag to my knitting group (of which I seem to be the only steady member, but that's a post for another time...).

So this has to be a story in two parts. I'm planning on finishing the bag tomorrow night while watching a movie, and felting it this coming weekend. I guess we'll see!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home