Saturday, July 29, 2006

vrey quick update

I don't have much to say tonight. We just finished watching In Cold Blood, and my head is kind of reeling. I read the book for my book group a while ago, and the 1967 movie (starring Robert Blake) is a pretty good adaptation, although they did leave out the part where Perry and Dick go to Florida. And the guy they got to play Truman Capote looks terrible.

I have been working pretty steadily on Spanky's sock--the first one. I'm using Regia Silk Color, shade 183, and the basic ribbed sock pattern from Spun Magazine, another online knitting magazine, that doesn't come out very often. I think there are only a few issues online, but Spanky doesn't like fancy patterns or bright colors in her wardrobe, so I thought this would be perfect. However, it's a 60 stitch pattern, and I'm a bit worried that it's going to be too small for her foot. I guess we'll see.

I don't have any pictures tonight, but tomorrow I'll take one in the daylight. I really like how soft the yarn is. I don't have a whole lot of experience with sock yarn, but this is pleasantly soft, and I'm really enjoying working on the sock. This is my third pair of socks, and I'm getting much better at picking up the stitches on the gusset so that there aren't any holes. I find that after I do the heel, and am working on the foot part, I really want it to be done. I have a long way to go though. Spanky's big foot is 10 inches long (she says 9.5, but it's closer to 10), and I'm at about 4 inches, so it's not going to be done before tomorrow night.

I also think I might throw my felted tote bag into the sink to try to felt it a little better by hand. I haven't decided yet though.

Salwa's little pouch is coming along, but I was saving that as a work knitting project. I think I may work on that a bit tomorrow as well, to give my hands a break from the size 1 sock needles.

Also tomorrow, I'm going to do a post with my upcoming projects. I'm starting to lose track, and I've just been ordering yarn willy-nilly to get all my bases covered, but I need to be a bit more systematic about it, or chaos will reign.

Oh, and I got my Interweave Knits fall magazine today! Yippee! So maybe I'll go over the things I really liked in it. There were actually sweaters in this issue that I think I could possibly make, and I'm definitely going to do the swallowtail shawl for my dad's wife. I've been waiting to find a lace shawl pattern that appealed to me for her, and I think this is it. It's not too long, or to old-lady, which is what I associate most of the shawls with (sorry, but no one I know actually wears shawls much). Plus, they live in Florida, so she doesn't need something long and warm, but light and decorative instead.

Anyway, I am SO TIRED now. I think it's time for bed. Yep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home