Thursday, July 01, 2010

you thought i'd forget!

ha ha. I almost did! Already! The first of the month. Boy, I suck. But here I am, in Spanky's elephant t-shirt, tucked up in our bed, about to finish my book, and I have time to tap out a quick entry before collapsing. I have so many topics for this month! I'm excited to tell you about all of them. But a little at a time, or I'll never make it. Tonight, I have:

FO #10:Travelling Woman

travelling woman shawl

This was so much fun to knit. Seriously, y'all. I was done in like four days. The pattern is easy, but there's enough going on that it's not boring. I love the lace part:

shawl detail again

And I love the shape and the size, and basically everything about it. I decided to block it without the points. It curls up a bit, but that's fine. Mine turned out to be about 44" across and 17" down the spine, which is a few inches smaller than the pattern suggests is possible, but it's perfect for warding off the chill of the a/c in the office.

travelling woman shawl

Yarn: Mountain Colors Bearfoot sock yarn. It's a really squishy merino/mohair/nylon blend. I got the Copper colorway from The Lamb Shoppe, the same Denver yarn store where I got the Done Roving from last night's post. I'm sure it's pretty obvious that the colors all go together to scream "autumn". Except that it turns out that copper is good anytime, not just in the fall. I am not sure I would ever use this yarn for socks. It seems like socks made out of a mohair blend yarn would be too hot. But it's super-soft and seems perfect for shawls and scarves, and other pieces that show off the handpainted colors and the glossiness of the yarn.

new specs

Wow. In this picture, you can really see how HUGE my new glasses are. Geez. But I really love them anyway. Nerd-tastic. Anyway, eyes back to the shawl. It's perfect. It's exactly what I wanted, although I should have tried to do three repeats of the main chart instead of chickening out at 2. I only had the one skein, and I was scared of running out, but I should have just put in a life line after the second repeat of the first chart and then tried to finish another one before doing the edge, because now I have a handball-sized ball of yarn (I know that might be hard to imagine, but it's bigger than a golf ball yet smaller than a tennis ball, but its right about the size of one of those rubber balls that they play handball with, I think.) Anyway, it's a lot of yarn to have left, and I think I might try to make some sort of lace cowl with the rest of the ball.

Needle: Some random Susan Bates 29" size 5 circ. Why do I have this? I have no idea anymore. I can't recall why I have most of the needles that I do. But obviously I do use them occasionally. I actually prefer to use the one-off needles when I can rather than the interchangeables, just because the joins are usually better.

One last look:

shawl detail

Ahhh. All better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home