Sunday, February 01, 2009

Super Bowl Sale!

Oh boy! This year, some ladies from our excellent JC knitting group got together and went to the Super Bowl Sale at Knit-a-Bit, a pretty awesome yarn store in Westfield, NJ.

I came away a little poorer, but with some great stash enhancement:
Shepherd's Wool
Shepherd's Wool, in Lilac, meant for Vivian, but I love it so much, I may use it for something else. Either way, it's a sweater's worth of yarn.

Also purchased (FINALLY!!!):
Berroco Seduce
Enough Seduce to make Veil, my favorite pattern from Nora Gaughan volume 2. I never thought I would be able to afford that much of the yarn, but I just went ahead and bought it. I had to put back a book that I'd been wanting, but I did manage to walk out with Classic Elite's Autumn Book 1. I have Book 2, but there were a few patterns in Book 1 that I wanted pretty badly, so I'm glad to get the book at 20% off. The one thing I didn't get that I was looking for was the new Knit Scene magazine. I think they'd run out. But I can always pick that up on a newsstand somewhere.

ANYWAY. I know I was just complaining about the pressure I was feeling from my stash, and I probably should have done this before going to the sale, but when I got back, I was so inspired that I took everything out and dumped it on the floor in the living room, much to Spanky's dismay:
stash before

Yeah, all those containers are full of yarn. Anyway, I was able to pare out one bag to donate:
yarn to donate

And then I pulled out all the sock yarn, which unfortunately didn't fit into one bag, like I thought it would. So I put the full bag into the closet, and left the half-full one out by the couch. I also pulled out all those pesky 1-2 skein combos that I tend to pick up on my travels and put those into another bag that I put next to the couch as well. I also have a basket for storing the yarn for bigger projects next to the couch. Then I put all the sweaters' worth amounts of yarn back into the closet. My plan is to work on one complicated project at a time, such as lace or a garment (oh, there's a bag of lace yarn in the closet too), and then supplement that with one or two smaller projects, just to use up that yarn and get the FOs rolling. My goal this year is to finish up the smaller projects and yet also work on a few larger garments. We'll see. But at least it is all organized now, so that I know where to find things. If you click through the pictures, there are notes that tell you what's there.
stash after 2 stash after 1 stash after 3

I've finished the One Skein scarf, which I'll discuss tomorrow. I'm still working on the Fred sweater in the Jeannee, which is not really inspiring me, so I just work on it at lunch at work. I'm sure it will be great when it's done, but I'm worrying about the suitability of the yarn for the pattern. We'll see, once I finish the back. I should probably be working this on 5s, not 6s... Ugh. Next up for home knitting is a cowl, which is part of a knit-a-long for the dyke knitting circle from Bluestockings in NYC. I wasn't sure I was going to participate, but now that I have my projects organized, I'm in. After that, it is the two-tone shrug from Stephanie Japel's book and the Clementine Shawlette. I know, I know, I keep saying that, but really, the yarn is wound, and I'm just waiting for the lace mojo to start again. It's been a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home