Sunday, January 03, 2010

FO #40

I couldn't resist. This finishes out the FOs for 2009, giving me an (almost) fresh start for 2010. I only have two outstanding WIPs, and one new project that I just cast on.

mom's socks

Pattern: Beginner's Lightweight Socks #216 by Fibertrends.

I got this pattern a few years ago in Kansas while I was on a business trip, in order to try my first pair of socks. I basically just used it this time as a reference, and it was pretty basic, indeed. I recommend it as a good one to start with if you want to try a really basic, vanilla stockinette sock.

Yarn: Joann's Sensations sock yarn Bamboo & Ewe Pattern, in color # 1434, which might be one of the brightest sock colorways I've ever seen.

Needles: US 1 bamboo dpns.

Notes: I don't have much to say about these, except that I made them for my mom. One of the ways we bond is by going to the craft stores while I'm down in Florida, since I don't have an easy option for going to the big box stores myself up here (no car). And I do like to make things for her, but it's hard because she lives in Florida, and how often do you need winter gear in the South? So since this yarn had bamboo in it, I thought they would be lighter than regular wool sock yarn, but they aren't. The yarn is rough, and feels the same as Kroy, or any other wool/nylon blend yarn. That's sad, because I expected something a bit softer. Anyway, they did soften a bit after a soak and blocking, so at least they're wearable. I hope she likes them, since she picked out the color herself. I made the cuffs 6 inches instead of 7, because again, it's Florida, but other than that, I pretty much followed the pattern, such as it is. Mainly for the heel and toe. Finally, I obviously didn't bother trying to match the pattern on the socks. I thought it would be more fun if they were completely crazy instead.

Har har.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home