Sunday, December 27, 2009

Chic Knits for Stylish Babies

The second book that S sent me is called Chic Knits for Stylish Babies: 65 Charming Patterns for the First Year by Patricia Wagner, who is apparently the Editor in Chief of Modes & Travaux. Modes & Travaux appears to be a type of lifestyle magazine, like a wacky Martha Stewart-esque publication, in which you get not only beauty advice, but also crafts and home decor. Weird. Anyway, this book was not really what I expected. I don't know if I ever looked at this collection in depth in the bookstore or not, but I usually check out new baby books, seeing as I do so much baby knitting, and for some reason this one totally snuck under my radar.

In contrast to Mother-Daughter Knitting, this book has virtually no text outside from the patterns at all. Basically you get several layouts that show the patterns in little 'outfits', and that's all. The outfits are all really cute, and very elaborate:

IMG_1550 IMG_1549

The one with the knee patches is my favorite. (It's called "English Style" in the book, and the outfit has the pants, the argyle sweater, the tam, etc.) The other one is called "Irish Leprechaun" because of the cable detail, I guess. Here are two more I really like:

IMG_1548 IMG_1547
Sorry about the glare on the second one. That one has the two black & white sweaters, and I don't know if you can tell, but the pants are a cabled jumpsuit. (the set is "Black and White") The first of those two is called "A Touch of Folklore". I just love that hat! So cute!

Anyway, there are other pieces that are just plain:
IMG_1541

or pretty standard for baby knits:
IMG_1542 IMG_1544

But even those are still cute. And let me tell you, I really could use some new options in terms of what to knit for those who are expecting. The one thing I don't understand, though, is why you'd want to put knit pants on a baby that don't have the snaps on the crotch. You have to take them all the way off in order to change the diaper, so how is that practical? Maybe someone who has babies can leave a comment and let me know if most baby pants have snaps or not, because I guess I just assumed that they did. But none of these patterns include that option, so maybe I'm wrong?

There are some other cute projects, including a diaper bag and a wall hanging thing you can put toys in, but the story outfits are the highlight. I'm definitely going to try something out of here next time I have a baby shower, but I'm just not sure if I'll include the pants or not... Let me know if you have any insight into this dilemma!

Also, I just really want to thank S for thinking of me when these became available. She knows how much I knit, and I think it is awesome that she's so supportive. Maybe someday I'll be making her some baby pants sans snaps as well!

1 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Blogger Salwa said...

Hey Kim! Happy New Year! So glad to see your posts about these books. I have no idea about the baby pants...but onesies definitely snap at the crotch. I think parents dress the kids in a onesie and then a sweater and pants over it in the winter? Dunno. Anyway, glad you had a restful break!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home